I had never experienced severe illness until December of 2022. We were nearing the end of our rotation in the Pediatric ER when I had onset of fever that wouldn't resolve after intake of medications. I had endured this state and did water therapy. I still managed to go to my PM shift however, 2 hours in, my body was on the verge of passing out. I called my mom and she and our driver raced to the hospital were I was training. My aunts and uncles came too and they accompanied me to another private hospital for workup. Workup was done and I was managed as a case of anemia and electrolyte imbalance, and was discharged from the ER. However, the following day, I had worsening shortness of breath and so they had me admitted.
My chest x-ray and 2D echocardiogram showed an enlarged heart with a large volume of fluid around it. I was referred to a cardiologist and he had me monitored in case I go into tamponade, a state wherein the heart can no longer pump due to massive volume of fluid around it. They had me tested for COVID-19 through RT-PCR and it came out positive and my mom and I were isolated for 9 days.
Nine days of isolation really altered our brain chemistry. Days seem routine and they went by pretty fast. Althroughout isolation, my mom took really good care of me despite the exhaustion and I can feel how stressed she was from constantly worrying. I have so much love and appreciation for her.
During my hospital stay, my condition worsened despite medications so they tested me for connective tissue diseases and so I was referref to a rheumatologist. My ANA and anti-dsDNA which are markers for systemic lupus erythematousus came out positive as well and my doctor called it.
My medications grew in number as they discovered several diseases i.e. pericardial effusion, congestion, COVID-19, SLE, and anemia. I had bruises from blood extractions and IV insertions. I was growing tired of being the patient— I wanted to go home.
Series of 2D echocardiogram was done, and they saw that the volume of fluid around my heart was getting bigger despite medications. The following day, I was rushed to the operating room and the cardiologist attempted to do pericardiocentesis, a procedure wherein a needle is inserted into the chest and fluid around the heart is aspirated. However, he was only able to aspirate blood and the procedure was aborted. I had five puncture wounds from when he tried inserting and repositioning the needle while being guided by ultrasound.
I was recently discharged yet family still makes effort to take care of me. They randomly call to check if I'm okay. They're interested in how I'm recovering and they make sure I eat and drink my take home medications. Manong bob drives me to the hospital and my mom just does everything to make sure I recovery from this experience.
I was so excited to go back to work. Although immunocompromised from the steroids, I'm hoping my body stays healthy for the remaining duration of internship. I am grateful to my doctors for taking good care of me, to my family and friends who made this experience a whole lot easier, to my mom who would move mountains to see me get better.
0 comments